10/2/13

Guy Harrison Interview


Check out my interview with rapper Guy Harrison. Also, check out his latest music video Sunny Mood featured above. Follow Guy on Twitter @Guy_Harrison. For more information on Guy visit www.guyharrisonmusic.com



Thank you for taking the time to speak with me today. First, can you please introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about yourself?
“My full name is Guy Harrison Campbell, but I rap as just Guy Harrison. I'm a 20 year old student/MC studying digital advertising and marketing at Syracuse University.”


When did you first become interested in music? When did you see it as a potential career?
“I've always loved music. Even as a young kid I would hum melodies to myself, and my mom always had me in the choir at church.  In 8th grade my history teacher asked us what we wanted to do for a living and I said I wanted to be the next Kanye West.  But I didn't take rap seriously until I was about 17 when I got the chance to record my first mixtape with my homie TyCo (Tyler Costantino) in Florida.”

Although you're a newcomer to the game, you've opened up for acts like Big Sean and Mac Miller! Tell us a little bit about those experiences.
“Opening for Mac Miller in 2011 was a really eye opening experience.  It was the first time I had done a soundcheck, or dealt with promoters.   I was 18 then, and since then I've done dozens of shows.   But that show was much needed experience leading up to shows I did with Asher Roth, Fabolous, Cassidy, OCD: Moosh & Twist, Aer, and some other guys.”


I've listened to a lot of your music and you definitely have a great sound. How would you describe your sound to someone who has never heard your music before?
“Appreciate that man..I don't like to confine myself to a certain sound really, but I'd say I'm like a mix between Common, J.Cole, Drake, and Kid Cudi.  I rap about real situations that I go through, but I also like to have fun with my music as much as I can.  So I'll throw some melodies into my verses or even sing the hook.  I just try to learn from the best and make it my own.”  

What's one thing you would like to accomplish throughout your career?
“My main goal is to win a grammy. I think that is every artist's goal in the industry.”

If you could work with any artist in the industry right now, who would you choose and why?
“I would want to work with J.Cole or Kendrick Lamar because in my eyes, those two are the most insightful MC's in the game.  I'd want one of them to take me under their wing and really show me how its done.”



What's an interesting fact about yourself, that many people may not know?
“I was class president my last two years in High school, and I quoted Biggie during my graduation speech.”

That was the last question. Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to do the interview. Do you have any last thoughts or comments for your fans?
“I just want to thank you for the interview, John. Shouts to all my fans out there, I promise I got more music on deck for the fall.”

-Jay P-





2 comments:

Igggm said...

his flow is crazyyy reminds me of jcole

Anonymous said...

this guy gonna be huge