3/8/13

K. Black Interview


I recently had the chance to interview the very talented K. Black! Not only is he an extremely talented producer who has worked with the likes of Marvin Sapp, but he has even toured with Faith Evans as her drummer! Now, K.Black is getting ready to launch his solo project, and he was kind enough to give me an interview. Check it out below!


Hello! Thank you for speaking with me today. First, can you please introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about yourself?
"Hello, my name is K Black The Music Machine. I'm a producer/writer/singer/musician and music is the theme and highlight of my life."

You began learning about music when you were only 3-years-old. What exactly drew you towards music? What instruments did you teach yourself to play? How hard was it to teach yourself?
"Well I started off playing the drums at 3. I was a self taught drummer. It was a gift from God and as I got older I started learning to play the keys in my father's church. Music has always been a part of my life for as long as I remember. My music is a gift from God. This is all I know and the drive of my life. That's why I call myself The Music Machine. Teaching my self wasn't hard. It came natural to me. All I had to do was apply myself and everything else followed."

You've worked with some of today's tops artists. Tell us a few people you've worked with. What was that experience like? Do you have a favorite piece you worked on?
"Well I placed my first major record back in 2000 with Bad Boys Recording artist (G Dept), and then had records with another Bad Boy artist (Shyne). I also had a record with an artist signed to Motown at that time named Trav, and the record featured Lil Wayne. I've also worked with Jaheem and tons of other artists. All of those projects were great experiences to be a part of. I can't really say what was my favorite, but I will say I enjoyed them all."

You went on tour with Faith Evans as her drummer. That's incredible! How did you get that gig? Were you nervous at all?
"Yes I did! We went over seas to the UK and visited London, Manchester, England, etc. I got the gig from being connected to my friend/brother(Donovan Jackson). He and faith are very close so playing in the band Donovan and my good friend/brother (Jeff Motley), they put me on the gig right away and the rest was history. I wasn't nervous. I was so ready and I waited for that opportunity for some years, so when it came I just knocked it out."

What was it like when you first heard your music being played on the radio? How did you feel?
"It was an amazing feeling. I went bonkas! I felt like I was on my way to the road of success."

Tell us a little bit about your new project.  What can we expect from your original music?
"Well my music is pure heart driven emotions and energy put into melodic form. I call it music for the soul. It will touch you where ever you are. It will be whatever you need it to be. It's uplifting and creative."

 What is one thing you've accomplished that you can say you are extremely proud of?
"One thing I've accomplished that I'm proud of is having a son who is just like me, and who is following in my foot steps. He keeps me on my grind because he's so talented that it's scary. It's like looking in the mirror and seeing my younger self. It's amazing."

What will separate your music from everything else out there right now?
"What separates my music from everything else is like I said; it's pure heart driven emotions and energy. It's not watered down or controlled by any A/R or anything putting a cap on it. It's free and uplifting and there's nothing out there like it. The music speaks for itself when you hear it."

What's an interesting fact about you that many people may not know?
"That's a tricky question to answer but I will say that when it comes to K Black The Music Machine, what you see is what you get; a humble and genuine person."

That was the last question! I want to thank you again for speaking with me. Do you have any last thoughts or comments? 
"Thank you Jay Swag for the interview. I look forward to the future! It was a pleasure speaking with you. Shout out to the whole entire Delray family."

Follow K. Black on Twitter @KBlack1979
-Jay P-



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He's pretty good!