9/23/12

Kwesi Boakye Interview


I recently had the chance to interview actor Kwesi Boakye! You may know him from Tyler Perry's I Can Do Bad All By Myself, or from the just released motion picture, Unconditional! Check out our interview below!

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to speak with us today. First, can you please introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about yourself?
"My name is Kwesi Boakye and you may know me from some of the projects I've done in the past like Tyler Perry's "I Can Do Bad All Myself" and some guest star roles on "Hawaii Five-O", "The Mentalist" etc... I'm really a fun loving kid who enjoys acting, reading, basketball, soccer and my playstation!"

You're so young but you already have so much experience in acting! When did you first get into acting and what made you want to do so?
"Funny story because I had no idea I was getting into acting, lol! I was 10 months old, minding my business in my stroller and my mom was shopping in the mall with me and my brothers and an agent approached her. My mom followed up and the rest is history!"

What was it like working in Tyler Perry's I Can Do Bad All By Myself? How did you like working alongside Tariji P Henson, Tyler Perry, and the rest of the star-studded cast?
"It was great working on Tyler Perry's set. He is actually a giant kid at heart! He loves to fly model planes so we would play on his computer and assimilate flying sometimes. Taraji would pinch me and my co-star Freddy's cheek every morning, so we would hide from her lol.. Adam was like a big bro, it was just like a giant family. When Madea showed up on set I couldn't stop laughing. It was not good for my scenes. Mr. Perry is an improv King and he taught me a lot!"

Your starring in the film Unconditional which will release on September 21st. Tell us a little bit about your role in the movie, and the filming process.
"My role in "Unconditional" is Macon. My character is very much has a little chip on his shoulder in the beginning. He hustles everyone to get what he needs because it's all he knows. Papa Joe (Michael Ealy's character) holds him accountable for his behavior like a parent, which creates a bond between them. Macon looks up to Papa Joe as the father he never had.
The filming process was smooth. I got to do a southern country accent and maintain it throughout, which was a good challenge for me. Hopefully I pulled it off!"

If you could work with any actor or actress in the world who would it be and why?
"Definitely Denzel Washington because he's amazing and consistently great in every movie he does. My dream is to earn some Academy Awards like him.
For an actress I will love to do an action film with Zoe Saldana like in "Colombiana"...that would be sweet!"

You also made an appearance at a "Back To School Bash" which helped raise money for families in need? Are you interested in doing more charity work? What charities would you like to work with in the future?
"The smiles on the kids faces made my heart feel good. I really want to do some charity work with the Boys and Girls Club, YMCAs and in Ghana West-Africa, my brothers and I are ambassadors for the leukemia project. I can't wait to go back to Africa and help raise money for the hospital they are building. One of my dreams is to be a UN Ambassador to represent kids all over the world, helping kids. My parents always talk me how God blesses us to be a blessing to others too."

What is your dream role?
"An action hero movie like "Spiderman" mixed with "Iron Man" and the suspense of "Mission Impossible" with Denzel Washington, Zoe Saldana and Tom Cruise."

If you weren't acting what would you want to do as a career?
"I don't know because I am only focused on wanting to do a lot more acting. I really love acting. It's like a part of me and I can't imagine not doing it. It's like I was born to do this. My parents always taught us not to believe in plan B, or else we will give plan A permission to fail." 

What's an interesting fact about you that many people may not know?
"Oh wow, you really want me to tell my secrets! Okay here goes, lol. I'm a PlayStation fanatic! I'm a fierce competitor on the basketball court and I'm the voice of Darwin Waterson in "The Amazing World of Gumball" lol"

Thanks again for doing the interview! Do you have any last thoughts or comments?
"Last thoughts would be please go see "Unconditional." It's a movie I'm really proud to be a part of and check me out as the voice of  Darwin Waterson in "The Amazing World of Gumball" on Cartoon Network on Tuesdays 7.30pm Thank you!"

-Jay P-



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahh i just saw this movie!!! He was great

Anonymous said...

cool interview. he seems like a really cool kid. how did you get this interview

Kim said...

He is adorable. My little sister watches "The Amazing World of Gumball" all the time.

Ryan Lory said...

i want to be an actor too! can u make me famous

Anonymous said...

what a nice kid! Very good interview

Anonymous said...

I want to go see the movie!

Anonymous said...

yay! i love your interviews